Selling HDB Flat

Are you thinking of selling your HDB flat? If you plan to sell your HDB flat, there are many factors you need to consider for both your sale and the purchase/renting of your next home.

To enjoy a smooth resale transaction, we list down the following key points for you to consider before you commit to selling your HDB flat.

There are various eligibility conditions under which you can sell your HDB flat:

    • HDB flat owners may only sell their flat if they have met the HDB Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) requirement.
    • It helps reduce speculative activities.
    • The HDB MOP length is five years from the date the HDB flat owner collects the keys.
      • It excludes any period that the flat owners not occupying the flat, such as they rent out the whole unit or when there is any infringement of the flat lease.
  • HDB EIP And SPR Quota
    • You have to meet the Ethnic Integration Policy (EIP) and Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) Quota for your block/neighbourhood.
    • The EIP ensures a balanced ethnic mix in HDB estates, thereby promoting racial integration and harmony.
    • The SPR Quota ensures that SPR families can better integrate into the local community. This quota limit will exclude Malaysian SPRs because of their close cultural and historical similarities with Singaporeans.
    • There is no restriction on the sale and purchase of an HDB flat if:
      • The proportion of the buyer’s ethnic group/ SPR quota is within the prescribed block/neighbourhood limits.
      • You and the buyer are of the same ethnic group or citizenship type.
  • Bankruptcy
    • Under the Housing and Development Act, as long as there is one Singapore Citizen HDB flat owner, you will not be forced to sell your HDB flat in the event of bankruptcy.
    • You do not need the Official Assignee (OA)’s consent to sell your HDB flat (before you grant your prospective buyer an Option to Purchase.) if there is one Singapore Citizen HDB flat owner.
    • If you finance your HDB flat with a mortgage loan and you cannot repay your mortgage to the bank or HDB, the bank can seize and sell your house through a mortgagee sale. HDB can also acquire your home compulsorily.
  • Divorce
    • If you go through a divorce after meeting the MOP, you can sell the HDB flat, provided you meet all other eligibility conditions.
    • You need to produce the following documents:
      • Writ for Judicial Separation (previously known as Deed of Separation); or
      • Interim Judgment (previously known as Decree Nisi); and
      • Certificate of Making Interim Judgment Final (previously known as Certificate of Making the Decree Nisi Absolute); or
      • Divorce Certificate (for Muslims); and
      • Order of Court (if any).
    • Suppose documents are not in any of the four official languages. It requires an official English translation of these documents by an interpreter of the Supreme Court or Subordinate Courts.

The Housing & Development Board will determine the actual approval to sell the HDB resale flat only after the HDB sellers have submitted the application and all the necessary supporting documents.